Friday, November 16, 2012

Daydreaming of Electronic Sheep that Dream


I have been a dreamer my whole life.

My overactive imagination is governed by my right brain, meaning I make intuitive and often abstract non-linear connections in the patterns I perceive around me. 

Yes, that's the polite way of saying I'm completely random. Hey, what can I say? I'm left handed--if the whole being right brained thing wasn't a dead give away.

Over the past half decade I have kindled a passion for theoretical psychics. I am not a physicist or mathematician, as I only understand the rudimentary aspects of physics. I'm a layman interested in the philosophical component, if you will.

I'm interested in the "big" questions. I suppose this makes me somewhat of a futurist at heart. But I realize that one requires the answers in order to continue asking the "big" questions. It's a Catch-22 of sorts. We cannot simply forsake the investigation into the answers if we hope to keep learning enough to, as Socrates observed, realize how truly little we actually know.


I know truly, really, very little about anything. Don't say I didn't warn you. 

In the end, it seems that the answers and the questions are equally important. Both are required to fill in the gaps of our collective ignorance. That goes without saying.

I have always been a student of philosophy, in one way or another, and for the past decade I took it upon myself to take philosophy quite serious. It has helped me to refine my logical and critical thinking skills. Skills I desire to continue to hone. Maybe even one day get good at--at least good enough not to continually embarrass myself. 


Science has always fascinated me. From a child, my mother sat me down in front of the television and forced me to watch re-runs of the original Star Trek. Needless to say, I was instantly hooked. Start Trek became part of our family ritual. The universe of visionary Gene Roddenberry was a main-staple in my home, and still is.

It is this borderland, where science and technology meat fiction and, sometimes, if we're lucky, become reality--which so captivates me.


This blog is dedicated to collecting the outpouring of my collected thoughts on science and technology. Most of my reflections are philosophical in nature--speculative--rather than technical or practical. My writing is entirely self serving. But even so, that doesn't mean my essays and reflections can't be informative or, at times, pragmatic. After all, I do see the world differently than most.

So if you care about science, technology, logic, and the future, then please, feel free to share with me your ideas as I share with you mine.


May you all live well and be wise.

Sincerely,

Tristan Vick

 

No comments:

Post a Comment